Chia seeds are super food seeds. This tiny seeds are rich source of omega 3 fats and fibres. Chia seeds boost energy, lower blood cholesterol and improve digestion. Chia seeds are rich source of minerals like calcium ,manganese, phosphorus and omega 3 fats. This seeds can easily be integrated in our every day meal as this are tasteless even this can be added to ice creams.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
1. Diabetes: Chia seeds slow down digestion and hence this tiny seeds have the ability to treat type 2 diabetes. Chia seeds also prevent blood sugar spikes.
2. Good for digestive health: They contain dietary fibers which improves the digestive health.
3. Strong teeth and bones: They are rich in calcium hence they keep the bone and teeth healthy. Chi seeds prevent osteoporosis.
4. Rich source of manganese: This tiny seeds contain manganese which is good for our bones and it also helps our body to use nutrients like thiamin and biotin effectively.
5. Rich in phosphorus: Phosphorus present in chia seeds synthesize cellular proteins and promotes growth and repair of tissues.
6. Improve Heart Attacks: They increase healthy cholesterol and lower total LDL and triglyceride cholesterol and thus it is good for your health.
7. Protein rich – They are rich source of protein and don’t have cholesterol. This tiny seeds are hence referred to as super foods.
8. Reduces blood pressure : They reduce the blood pressure level of our body.
9. Reduces inflammation: They have fatty acids which have anti inflammatory properties. It absorbs the fat soluble vitamins and reduces the production of C – reactive protein. As we know that inflammation increases the risk of heart disease, arthritis and cancer hence by reducing inflammation we lower the risk for heart related diseases, cancer and arthritis.
10. Boosts energy level: They boost the energy levels of our body. This tiny seeds are hydrophobic due to which they regulate electrolyte. Chia seeds contain carbohydrates this breaks slowly and boosts the energy levels. It also boost mental and mood levels.
11. Weight loss: Chia seeds are hydrophilic by nature due to this reason the soluble fibers absorb water and form a gel that fills us and we consume fewer calories. Digestive process is also slowed down by chia seeds. Insoluble fibers present in chia seeds prevent digestive disorders and constipation by cleaning the colon.
12. Anti oxidants: These tiny seeds are rich in anti oxidants. The antioxidants present in chia seeds prevent cancer and aging.
Where can we find chia seeds?
These are found as flax seeds in market for adding to baked goods, cereals and yogurts.
How to eat chia seeds?
This seeds can be consumed raw or can be added to a number of dishes. This can also be added to salads and sandwiches.
Side effects of chia seeds are gastrointestinal problems, allergies and blood pressure disorders.
We can stay healthy and fit by taking spoonful of chia seeds every day. An adult can consume about 15 grams of chia seeds everyday where as minors can consume about 1.4 to 4.3 grams of chia seeds daily.
Chia seeds contain alpha linolenic acid so it must be consumed in right proportions or else this may lead to prostate cancer even in some cases people get addicted to this seeds so this must be consumed in short phases with break periods.